- District Links
- College of Home Science
College of Home Science Central Agricultural University, Tura
Sangsanggre, Tura - Dalu Road, West Garo Hills District, Tura-794005, Meghalaya
Dr. K Sheela
Dean, College of Home Science
Phone: - (03651) 233486 (Office) / 09436313335 (Mobile)
Telefax: - (03651) 232828
E-mail address: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
The jurisdiction of the College stretches to North Eastern Hill States. The mandate of the College includes imparting education in different branches of Home Science (Foods and Nutrition, Textile and Apparel Designing, Human Development & Family Studies, Family Resource Management, Extension Education & Communication Management) and Allied Sciences, to contribute in the advancement of learning and research in Home Science and allied Science in these regions. Along with these, mandates also include to undertake programme of extension education in the North East Region. To undertake other activities for the development of North Eastern Region and to establish linkages with line departments, other scientific institution located in the region, across the country as well as overseas in the areas of its domain.
The college of Home Science’s primary mission is to impart quality education in all branches in order to create proficient manpower for catering the needs of the society. The mission of the college also includes the delivering diversified subject matter content in accordance with the spectrum of philosophy of individual and social institution for building, sensitizing and applying socially relevant multi disciplinary knowledge and refining practices by developing scientific and technical skills for self-actualization and betterment of family and community in today’s challenging world.
- To impart Home Science education for improving the quality of life at micro, and macro level of the society with added emphasis on promoting professionalism among students.
- To promote cognitive and effective learning among students for technology transfer to farm/rural families within the culturally relevant conditions and eco-based farming household system.
- To strengthen teaching-extension-research linkages through family and community focused research for the holistic improvement in quality of farm/rural families.
Food Science and Nutrition:
To develop knowledge and skill in micro and macro management of food science for ensuring nutritional security and safeguarding human health.
To develop knowledge and skill regarding development stages of life cycle, providing stimulative environment for human development and management of micro and macro resources for care of family and children with special needs.
Family Resource Management:
To develop knowledge of micro and macro family resources with emphasis on development of skills for management of eco-friendly household technologies for work simplification; for space management and aesthetic enrichment of the house and to empower with knowledge on family finance and consumer education.
Clothing and Textiles:
To develop knowledge of textiles and skill in apparel designing and clothing construction, value addition to apparels and eco-friendly textile products; clothing for special needs; knowledge of traditional textiles and skill on textile technologies for starting micro-enterprises.
Home Science Extension Education:
To understand the concept and nature of rural family centered development programmes; the methodologies for transfer of technologies to rural client and to develop skill in preparing and using communication materials for message delivery through varied media.
Future Goals & Objectives
- To expand educational programmes by starting B.Sc Applied Nutrition & Dietetics, M.Sc & Ph.D degrees in all the areas of Home Science.
- To Contribute in advance research activities
- To popularise vocational training courses for the benefit of school dropout & unemployed youth.
- To improve standard of living by imparting knowledge, and skills to the rural community through extension activities.
- To establish close networking with advance National & International Institutions in the country and abroad for exchange of information as well as faculty & PG-students.
- For effective & speed transfer of technology to rural community and strengthen the infrastructure needed.
- To upgrade library facilities through e-journals, internet etc.
- To upgrade laboratory infrastructure & facilities.
- To strengthen the research work relevant to all Department.
- To improve the performance of faculties exposing them to national & international training programme etc.
Short term & Long term Plan
Short term Plan:
- To give quality education, knowledge and skill to the student in time for their regular degree course. To make them ready for competitive exams like JRF etc for their higher studies. The college is organizing JRF Mock test and giving counseling to the students for their placement and for better future avenues. Every year each dept. plan to conduct extension activities in the related field for betterment of life of the rural people.
- Research work and Extension activities are other areas where faculty members are involved regularly.
- Establishing college infrastructures viz; development of departmental and laboratory infrastructure including equipment, farmer’s hostel and others
- Strengthening of existing academic programmes via. B.Sc. Home Science.
- To upgrade functioning of student counseling and Placement Cell.
- Starting Short-Term vocational/ course in other Departments also.
- Development of experiential learning units etc.
- Expand research and extension education activities to the entire state of North East.
- Developing close networking with line departments and farmers.
- Initiating high priority research relevant to this region.
- Filling up of existing vacant positions of teaching and non-teaching staff.
- Man power development through training of the staff (both teaching and non-teaching), participating in seminar, symposium & workshop, deputing faculty for higher study like Ph.D., Post Doctoral Research exposure etc.
Under Long term Plan:
- Under extension activity the college has adopted a village to disseminate knowledge and skills to the rural people to improve their economic status and livelihood.
- Expansion of educational programme (introduce Master and Ph.D. Degree in all the different disciplines of Home Science)
- Establishing advance study centres.
- Faculty and student exchange programme with national and international institutions.
- Income generation-establishing production units as well as service provider (consulting service).